Monday, September 6, 2010

the state of his faith

A few days ago, I finished reading "Night," by Elie Wiesel, a Holocaust survivor and Nobel Peace Prize winner. A high school English teacher, who is both a friend and a family member, asked for my thoughts about the state of Wiesel's faith at the end of the book.

First, let me say the Holocaust must be remembered. We must teach every generation about it. We must never, ever forget. We must be compelled to raise awareness for any social injustice, be proactive to prevent it, and seek ways to help the victims and survivors.

So, what are my thoughts about the state of Wiesel's faith?

That’s a tough one. How can I comment on the state of Wiesel’s faith after his experience? I will do my best and base my comments on my determination that Wiesel – in a seemingly academic way – dismissed his faith, his God.

It saddens me, of course.

I think the natural way of processing this would be to put myself in that same situation and ask myself some difficult but simple questions: Would I have kept my faith? Why or why not?

To ask myself those questions is embarrassing. It feels like a mockery to the Holocaust victims for me to plunk my comfortable life into their history.

In order for me to comment on the state of Wiesel’s faith at the end of the book, I almost have to do it academically as well, by first considering the many questions that Wiesel and others asked of God as their faith was challenged.

Where is God?
Where is His mercy?
How can God betray us?
Where is the Messiah?


The views that resonated with me were the views that God had abandoned them, and because He had abandoned them, He did not see, know, or understand what they were going through.

This view led me to comparisons of Wiesel’s faith and my faith. Is there a difference?

Yes, there is a difference. The difference is the Messiah. The difference is Jesus.

This is no judgment on Wiesel at all from me, but this is more of a personal journey for me to further understand how desperately we need the Christ, the Messiah. Without the Christ, my understanding of Wiesel’s view is – dare I say it – warranted. Again, my understanding of Wiesel’s view is that God did not see, know, or understand what they were going through, and that He withheld His mercy.

So, if the difference is Jesus, the Messiah, and He becomes part of the equation, the views are no longer warranted. Let me explain…

Food and nourishment (and that is strong name for it) were rationed or flat-out denied. Wiesel cried out with hunger to a God he felt was not there and did not see or understand. Jesus fasted for 40 days.

Wiesel was beaten and whipped. Jesus was, too.

Wiesel felt betrayed and forsaken by God. Jesus did, too. From the cross, Jesus cried, “My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?”

The Jews were persecuted for who they were. Jesus was, too.

The Jews died at the hands of other men. Jesus did, too.

Wiesel felt no mercy from God. Hebrews 2:16-18 “…He (Jesus) gives help to the descendant of Abraham. Therefore, He had to be made like His brethren in all things, that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For since He Himself was tempted in that which He has suffered, He is able to come to the aid of those who are tempted.”

Would Wiesel’s faith have been lost if he had put His trust in the Messiah who had been through everything (and more) that Wiesel had been through?

I don’t really know, but it adds an element to faith that Wiesel did not truly possess or understand.

I admit, the book of Hebrews provides a different perspective to me now. I cannot help but read the above – and below – passages without filtering them through the application it has to the Holocaust victims, Wiesel included.

I can now see specifically how vital these passages in Hebrews are to Hebrews of the Holocaust. It is both melancholy and liberating when I consider their sufferings and the sufferings – and salvation – of the Christ.

Hebrews 4:15-16
“For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore draw near with confidence to the throne of grace that we may receive mercy and may find grace to help in time of need.”

To put myself in Wiesel’s place and think about how my faith would have survived would only be ridicule. I will not do that. I respect him too much. I can only be grieved that he lost his faith. And I can only see how desperate I am without my Messiah.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully put, Shari. I think I need to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Shari, for such a thoughtful analysis of this book. I appreciate the contrasts you point out. I too grieve and feel sad that the author perceives there is no hope. Your conclusion is excellent!

    Blessings,
    Minette

    ReplyDelete